Make Sure Your Car Shipping Experience is Great with These Tips
If you are planning to move across country, you may have to decide how to get your car from your old home to your new one. If you do not want to drive it across the country yourself, you may want to consider finding one of the many car transport services that are available to you. Here are just a few tips that will help you find a dependable car shipper:
- Talk to your friends and relatives.The current car shipping industry in the United States is worth at least $12 billion. That means that a lot of people are shipping their cars across the country. This also means that you may know someone who has used such a service to move a car or other vehicle from one part of the country, Ask them who they used and how they found that company.
- Talk to a few car shipping companies.You should get the rates from several car transport companies. Know in advance what the price will be and what fees or extras may be added on. These extras can include tolls or unexpected delays due to traffic or bad weather. Make sure you understand their billing and rate structure so that you do not get a surprise when you get the final bill.
- Look online for car transport services companies.You can check different auto shipping company websites for reviews and testimonials. Look at Yelp and Facebook for information and reviews. When looking at online reviews, it is very important to remember that people are much more likely to leave a complaint that a compliment. This is especially true for people who leave comments anonymously.
- Ask about the company's liability insurance.Make sure the company you go to has the right liability insurance. Most car transport services companies carry policies that cover at least $50,000 but some can have them go as high as $250,000. Check with the company you pick to make sure they gave the right amount of coverage.
- Take pictures of your car.Take a lot of pictures before you turn your car over to the car transport services company. You cannot have too much documentation to show the condition of your car when you give it to the company. This will give you the best chance of getting your car back in the same shape that you gave them to the car shipping company in. Take them with your phone or digital camera and save it to your computer. You can also put those on a flash drive to keep them safe.
- Take your stuff out of your car.Most car shipping companies will require you to take everything you own out of the car. Some companies will let you put 50 to 100 pounds of stuff in your car before you ship it. You should take anything out that you want to keep. This includes your GPS, any stereo equipment that can be removed, video players and any personal belongings like DVDs and whatever else. Many people keep a lot of stuff in their trunks so make sure you go through it before you ship it.
- Ship your car in the winter.You may not be able to plan your move this way but if you can, you will save between $200 and $300 if you ship it during the winter months. It costs more in the summer because the costs of fuel go up in the summer.
- Be flexible with your timing.You can get a window of time for when you can expect your car to be delivered but you may not get an exact time and day. You can work with the shipping company to get a decent window but you will have to be at least a little flexible when it comes to when you can expect the delivery of your vehicle.
If you do your research, your car shipping experience should be nearly stress free.